- Colombia was the first regulated I-gaming market within LATAM, adopting an open-license, European styled regulatory regime.
- One license covers all authorized verticals.
- License costs for Operators are steep and regulation tailored towards more established operators, with both fixed and variable regulatory fees, yet the market is a lucrative one.
- Gaming tax is 15% of GGR whilst RTP is 83%
- The gambling population prefers a cash based, assisted betting system whereby payments are made through land-based shops. Wide reaching networks of this type already exist in Colombia.
- The best point of entry to the market is via a sports-book product offering (this can be said of LATAM in general).
- One domain is permitted per license. White-label arrangements are prohibited.
- Percentage of population that plays/bets: 55% (online and land- based).
- Turnover of online games specifically in Jan-Feb 2020 was 261 Million Eur.
- 190 Million Eur from sports book and 71 Million Eur from casino
- 24 million Eur from sports book
- 2.6 Million Eur from casino
- 3 strongest operators:
- 41% W play
- 40% Bet play
Colombia began its activity in the world of online gambling in 2017 and closed the year with a turnover of $60 million, 2018 closed with $555 million and the first quarter of 2019 reached $600 million with an annual closure of $1.4BN.
The projection is of an exponential growth that will reach a turnover of about 6 billion United States Dollars in the next 4 years.
The following games are permitted:
- Slot machines
- Virtual games
- Sports related real events: sports betting, e-sports
- Non-sports related real events
- Live Casino